Occurrence and Dietary Risk Assessment of Pesticides in Wheat Fields of Ghaziabad City, India
Corresponding Author(s) : R. Dave
Asian Journal of Chemistry,
Vol. 34 No. 3 (2022): Vol 34 Issue 3 page 695-703
The aim of this study is to assess the pesticides residues in wheat and soil samples from Ghaziabad city of India. Herein, wheat and soil samples were collected from fields in Ghaziabad city, India from 2017 to 2019 and analyzed on GC-MS/MS & LC-MS/MS using QuEChERS method of extraction. One or multiple pesticide residues were detected in the wheat and soil samples. Cypermethrin, cyahalofep butyl and chlorpyrifos were frequently detected in the soil samples. Concentrations of carbendazim and chlorpyrifos in the paired soil and wheat samples exhibited significant positive correlations. The monitoring results showed that the concentrations of some pesticides in the wheat flour samples exceeded the FSSAI MRL standard, which implies possible intake risks via consumption. Hence, dietary risk assessments were conducted. The resulting hazard quotient (HQ) values fell within 3.89-7.25 indicates that dietary risk of studied crop is low and their current residue concentrations in wheat would be safe for human consumption.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- C.J. Swanton, R. Nkoa and R.E. Blackshaw, J. Weed Sci., 63(SP1), 2 (2015); https://doi.org/10.1614/WS-D-13-00062.1
- A.C. Shivran, S. rita, J. Choudhary and J.S. Bamboriya, Int. J. Curr. Microbiol. Appl. Sci., 9, 438 (2020); https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.053
- M.L. Roszko, K. Juszczyk, M. Szczepañska, O. Swider and K. Szymczyk, J. Environ. Monit. Assess, 192, 142 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-020-8097-5
- Guidance Note No. 13/2020; Pesticides: Food Safety Concerns, Precautions and Safety Measures, FSSAI (2020).
- V.L.R. Pullagurala, S. Rawat, I.O. Adisa, J.A. Hernandez-Viezcas, J.R. Peralta-Videa and J.L. Gardea Torresdey, J. Sci. Total Environ., 636, 1585 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2018.04.375
- C. Ju, S. Dong, H. Zhang, S. Yao, F. Wang, D. Cao, S. Xu, H. Fang and Y. Yu, Chemosphere, 248, 126024 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.126024
- R. Wiles, K. Davies and C. Campbell, Overexposed Organophosphate Insecticides in Children’s Food, Environmental Working Group: Washington, DC (1998).
- Commission of the European Communities (CEC), Monitoring of Pesticide Residues in Products of Plant Origin in the European Union, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. CEC, Brussels (2005).
- C.A. Damalas and I.G. Eleftherohorinos, Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 8, 1402 (2011); https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph8051402
- Census of India 2011, Uttar pradesh, District Census HandBook, Series 10, part XII-B Ghaziabad, India (2011).
- S. Khan, S. Rehman, A.Z. Khan, M.A. Khan and M.T. Shah, Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf., 73, 1820 (2010); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoenv.2010.08.016
- BS EN 15662:2018. Foods of Plant Origin, Multimethod for the Deter-mination of Pesticide Residues using GC- and LC-based Analysis following Acetonitrile Extraction/Partitioning and Clean Up by Dispersive SPE, ModularQuEChERS-Method (2018).
- Guidelines for Predicting Dietary intake of pesticides Residues, Joint UNEP/FAO/WHO Food Contamination Monitoring Programme, WHO Geneva (1989).
- Y. Liu, S. Liu, Y. Zhang, D. Qin, Z. Zheng, G. Zhu, Y. Lv, Z. Liu, Z. Dong, X. Liao and X. Li, Food Control, 107, 106754 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodcont.2019.106754
- Y. Tao, C. Jia, J. Jing, J. Zhang, P. Yu, M. He, J. Wu, L. Chen and E. Zhao, J. Food Chem., 350, 129245 (2021); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2021.129245
- Recommended Dietary Allowances and Estimated Average Requirements Nutrient Requirements for Indians, A Report of the Expert Group Indian Council of Medical Research National Institute of Nutrition (2020).
- NSS, NSS Report No. 558 (68/1.0/2) Household Consumption of various Goods and 401 Services in India, 2011-12 (2014). Accessed on 08 June 2019.
- K.M. Soliman, Food Chem. Toxicol., 39, 887 (2001); https://doi.org/10.1016/S0278-6915(00)00177-0
- M. Pirsaheb, Y. Fakhri, M. Karami, R. Akbarzadeh, Z. Safaei, N. Fatahi, M. Sillanpaa and A. Asadi, Int. J. Environ. Anal. Chem., 99, 1353 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1080/03067319.2019.1622009
- B.H. Petersen, Jensen, J.H. Andersen, M.E. Poulsen, T. Christensen and E. Nielsen, Pesticide Residues: Results from the Period 2004-2011, National Food Institute, Technical University of Denmark (2013).
- C. Kihampa, R. Ram Mato and H. Mohamed, J. Appl. Sci. Environ. Manag., 14, 37 (2010); https://doi.org/10.4314/jasem.v14i3.61462
- Z. Li, J. Nie, Z. Yan, Y. Cheng, F. Lan, Y. Huang, Q. Chen, X. Zhao, A. Li, Regul. Toxicol. Pharmacol., 97, 152 (2018); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.yrtph.2018.06.007
- E. Lehmann, N. Turrero, M. Kolia, Y. Konaté and L.F. de Alencastro, Sci. Total Environ., 601-602, 1208 (2017); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.05.285
- W.S. Si, S.Y. Wang, Y.D. Zhang, C. Kong and B. Bai, Food Addit. Contam. B, 14, 245 (2021); https://doi.org/10.1080/19393210.2021.1941300
- Pesticide Residues in Food Report of the 1999 Joint FAO/WHO Meeting of Experts; https://www.fao.org/fileadmin/templates/agphome/ documents/Pests_Pesticides/JMPR/Reports_1991-2006/ REPORT1999.pdf.
- Report of the Joint Meeting of the FAO Panel of Experts on Pesticide Residues in Food and the Environment and the WHO Core Assessment Group on Pesticide Residues Rome, Italy, 20-29 September (2004).
- Report of the Joint Meeting of the FAO Panel of Experts on Pesticide Residues in Food and the Environment and the WHO Core Assessment Group on Pesticide Residues Rome, Italy, 21-30 September (2010).
- Joint FAO/WHO Meeting on Pesticide Residues, Geneva, 9-13 May (2016).
- Joint Meeting of the FAO Panel of Experts on Pesticide Residues in Food and the Environment and the WHO Core Assessment Group Berlin, Germany, 18-27 September (2018).
- Sponsored jointly by FAO and WHO Joint Meeting of the FAO Panel of Experts on Pesticide Residues in Food and the Environment and the WHO Core Assessment Group Gene, Geneva, Switzerland, 17–26 September (2019).
- F. Beduk, M.E. Aydin, S. Aydin, A. Tekinay, M. Bahadir, Fresen. Environ. Bull., 26, 2330 (2017).
- S. Mebdoua and G. Ounane, Food Addit. Contamin. B, 12, 289 (2019); https://doi.org/10.1080/19393210.2019.1661529
- P. Fantke, P. Wieland, C. Wannaz, R. Friedrich and O. Jolliet, Environ. Model. Softw., 40, 316 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envsoft.2012.09.016
- R. Karmakar and G. Kulshrestha, Pest Manag. Sci., 65, 931 (2009); https://doi.org/10.1002/ps.1776
- N. Pang, X. Fan, P. Fantke, S. Zhao and J. Hu, Environ. Pollut., 256, 113285 (2020); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.envpol.2019.113285