Chemical Modification of Montmorillonite K10 and Its Catalytic Activity
Corresponding Author(s) : Serly Jolanda Sekewael
Asian Journal of Chemistry,
Vol. 32 No. 3 (2020): Vol 32 Issue 3 page 659-664
Montmorillonite K10 (Mt-K10) was chemically modified using a silica-zirconia mixture and the resulting product was named SZMK. The product had an increased total surface acidity, catalytic activity, porosity, and thermal stability. Ammonia adsorption tests and further verification with FTIR and TGA/DTA showed that the acidity of SZMK was higher (0.16 mmol/g) than that of Mt-K10. Catalytic performance was analyzed on the esterification reaction of lauric acid. Refluxing lauric acid and methanol (molar ratio of 1:20) for 20 h with a 20 % (w/w) catalyst showed that catalytic activity of SZMK is high, i.e. methyl laurate production 98.18% (w/w) was achieved.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- Y.S. Han, H. Matsumoto and S. Yamanaka, Chem. Mater., 9, 2013 (1997); https://doi.org/10.1021/cm970200i
- S.J. Sekewael, K. Wijaya, Triyono and A. Budiman, Int. J. Chem Tech Res., 10, 62 (2017).
- Y.S. Han and S. Yamanaka, J. Solid State Chem., 179, 1146 (2006); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jssc.2006.01.013
- S.J. Sekewael, K. Wijaya, Triyono and A. Budiman, Asian J. Chem., 28, 2325 (2016); https://doi.org/10.14233/ajchem.2016.19982
- J.H. Choy, J.B. Yoon, H. Jung and J.H. Park, J. Mater. Chem., 13, 557 (2003); https://doi.org/10.1039/b208929g
- Y. Kameshima, T. Koike, T. Isobe, A. Nakajima and K. Okada, Mater. Res. Bull., 44, 1906 (2009); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.materresbull.2009.05.005
- Ruslan, K. Wijaya and Triyono, Int. J. Appl. Chem., 9, 15 (2013).
- R. Fazaeli and H. Aliyan, Appl. Catal. A Gen., 331, 78 (2007); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcata.2007.07.030
- R.D. Aher, M.H. Gade, R.S. Reddy and A. Sudalai, Indian J. Chem., 51A, 1325 (2012).
- M. Ayoub and A.Z. Abdullah, Catal. Commun., 34, 22 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2013.01.007
- A. Ghebaur, S.A. Gârea and H. Iovu, U.P.B. Sci. Bull., 73B, 169 (2011).
- J.P. Kumar, P.V.R.K. Ramacharyulu, G.K. Prasad and B. Singh, Appl. Clay Sci., 116-117, 263 (2015); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2015.04.007
- S.J. Sekewael, K. Wijaya and Triyono, Indones. J. Chem. Res., 6, 38 (2018). https://doi.org/10.30598//ijcr.2018.6-sjs
- C. Song, W.C. Lai, A.D. Schmitz and K.M. Reddy, Characterization of Acidic Properties of Microporous and Mesoporous Zeolite Catalysts using TGA and DSC, ACS Division of Fuel Chemistry, Preprints, 41, pp. 71-76 (1996).
- B. Li, Z. Liu, C. Han, W. Ma and S. Zhao, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 377, 334 (2012); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2012.03.067
- P. Yuan, F. Annabi-Bergaya, Q. Tao, M. Fan, Z. Liu, J. Zhu, H. He and T. Chen, J. Colloid Interface Sci., 324, 142 (2008); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2008.04.076
- C.A. Emeis, J. Catal., 141, 347 (1993); https://doi.org/10.1006/jcat.1993.1145
- A. Gil, S.A. Korili, R. Trujilano and M.A. Vincente, Pillared Clays and Related Catalyst, Springer Science+Business Media: New York (2010).
- M. Di Serio, R. Tesser, L. Pengmei and E. Santacesaria, Energy Fuels, 22, 207 (2008); https://doi.org/10.1021/ef700250g
- L. Zatta, L.P. Ramos and F. Wypych, Appl. Clay Sci., 80-81, 236 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clay.2013.04.009
- C.N. Banwell and E.M. Mccash, Fundamental of Molecular Spectroscopy, McGraw-Hill College, USA (1994).