Synthesis of Capsule Film from Water-Soluble Chitosan by Adding Sodium Lauryl Sulfate
Corresponding Author(s) : Yatim Lailun Ni'mah
Asian Journal of Chemistry,
Vol. 32 No. 3 (2020): Vol 32 Issue 3 page 634-640
Mixtures comprising water-soluble chitosan (WSC), agar and different concentrations of sodium lauryl sulphate (SLS) were used to synthesize capsule films. The concentration of agar was fixed at 0.02 %, whereas the concentration (v/v) of SLS varied (0, 0.02, 0.04, 0.06 and 0.08 %). Shrimp shell waste was subjected to demineralization, deproteination and deacetylation to obtain chitosan. The chitosan thus obtained was depolymerized to produce water-soluble chitosan (WSC). Fourier-Transform infrared (FTIR) baseline method was used for calculating the degree of deacetylation of chitosan. FTIR spectra of the obtained capsule film exhibited vibrations of its constituent molecules, namely agar, chitosan and SLS. The elasticity of the film matrix increased with SLS concentrations. In swelling tests conducted using water and 0.1 N HCl, the highest swelling values, 123.74 and 235.87 %, respectively were observed in the capsule film containing 0.08 % SLS in the 10th min. The capsule film containing 0.08 % SLS was degraded (broken) in water and 0.1 N HCl in the 10th and 30th min, respectively. The results indicated that a capsule film containing 0.08% SLS was the most eligible film for commercial use.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- T.R. Chan, P.J. Stahl, Y. Li and S.M. Yu, Acta Biomater., 15, 164 (2015); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actbio.2015.01.005
- A.M. Hameed, T. Asiyanbi-H, M. Idris, N. Fadzillah and M.E.S. Mirghani, Trop. Life Sci. Res., 29, 213 (2018); https://doi.org/10.21315/tlsr2018.29.2.15
- I. Younes and M. Rinaudo, Mar. Drugs, 13, 1133 (2015); https://doi.org/10.3390/md13031133
- F. Tian, Y. Liu, K. Hu and B. Zhao, J. Mater. Sci., 38, 4709 (2003); https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1027466716950
- T. Yoshizawa, Y. Shin-ya, K.J. Hong and T. Kajiuchi, Eur. J. Pharm. Biopharm., 59, 307 (2005); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejpb.2004.08.002
- S. Chunsawang and S. Wongprakornkul, Capsule Production from Chitosan, in International Conference on Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Well-Being, Mahasarakham University, Thailand (2009).
- L.Y. Zhu, D.Q. Lin and S.J. Yao, Carbohydr. Polym., 82, 323 (2010); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.carbpol.2010.04.062.
- Y. Du, Y. Zhao, S. Dai and B. Yang, Innov. Food Sci. Emerg. Technol., 10, 103 (2009); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifset.2008.07.004
- W. Rachmawati, Ph.D. Thesis, Department of Chemistry, Institut Teknologi Sepuluh Nopember, Surabaya, Indonesia (2018).
- A. Elsayed, M. Al-Remawi, N. Qinna, A. Farouk, K. Al-Sou’od and A. Badwan, AAPS PharmSciTech, 12, 958 (2011); https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-011-9647-5
- F. Amri, S. Husseinsyah and K. Hussin, J. Thermoplast. Compos. Mater., 26, 878 (2011); https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705711430430
- J.C. Russell, D.G. Whitten and A.M. Braun, J. Am. Chem. Soc., 103, 3219 (1981); https://doi.org/10.1021/ja00401a053
- J. Domszy and G. Roberts, Makromol. Chem., 186, 1671 (1985); https://doi.org/10.1002/macp.1985.021860815
- C. Carraher, Polymer Chemistry, Marcel Dekker, Inc.: New York (2003).
- R.C. Simoni, G.F. Lemes, S. Fialho, O.H. Gonçalves, A.M. Gozzo, V. Chiaradia, C. Sayer, M.A. Shirai and F.V. Leimann, An. Acad. Bras. Ciênc., 89(Suppl. 1), 745 (2017); https://doi.org/10.1590/0001-3765201720160241
- R.A.A. Muzzarelli, Filmogenic Properties of Chitin/Chitosan, In: Chitin in Nature and Technology, Plenum Press: New York, pp. 389-390 (1986).
- N. Berezina, Phys. Sci. Rev., 1, 1 (2016); https://doi.org/10.1515/psr-2016-0048
- D. Elieh-Ali-Komi and M.R. Hamblin, Int. J. Adv. Res. (Indore), 4, 411 (2016).
- O. Gyliene, I. Razmute, R. Tarozaite and O. Nivinskiene, Chemija, 14, 121 (2003).
- Z. Xia, S. Wu and J. Chen, Int. J. Biol. Macromol., 59, 242 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2013.04.034
- E. El-Hefian, M. Nasef and A. Yahaya, E-J. Chem., 9, 1431 (2012); https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/781206
- H. Lim and S. Hoag, AAPS PharmSciTech, 14, 903 (2013); https://doi.org/10.1208/s12249-013-9971-z
- E. Buana, D. Indarti and Asnawati, Berkala Saintek, 2, 49 (2014) (In Indonesian).
- F. Ganji, S.V. Farahani and E.V. Farahani, Iran. Polym. J., 19, 375 (2010).
- L. Petrovic, J. Milinkovic, J. Fraj, S. Buèko and J. Katona, J. Serb. Chem. Soc., 81, 575 (2016); https://doi.org/10.2298/JSC151119024P