Isolation of Kaempferol from Vietnamese Ginkgo biloba Leaves by Preparative Column Chromatography
Corresponding Author(s) : Tuong Van Nguyen
Asian Journal of Chemistry,
Vol. 32 No. 3 (2020): Vol 32 Issue 3 page 515-518
The aim of this research was to develop a simple procedure to isolate kaempferol from Ginkgo biloba leaves extract. Flavonoids present in Ginkgo biloba leaves were extracted by 96 % ethanol. These flavonol glycosides which were hydrolyzed in the presence of HCl to convert to aglycones. The flavonol aglycones were extracted by the hydrolysis of solution with ethyl acetate which was evaporated to dryness under reduced pressure to obtain concentrated flavonol aglycones (C2). Flavonol aglycones were then purified by preparative column chromatography with a mobile phase composed of petroleum ether-ethyl acetate to acquire fraction C3. The recrystallization of fraction C3 in acetone realizes to have an amorphous sediment as fraction C4 that was supposed to be a mixture of kaempferol, quercetin and isorhamnetin. Kaempferol in this sediment was purified by column chromatography with a mobile phase composed of CHCl3-MeOH to achieve a fraction denoted as fraction C5. The isolated fraction C5 was assigned by its purity and structure by thin layer chromatography (TLC), high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) and spectroscopic data analyses.
Download CitationEndnote/Zotero/Mendeley (RIS)
- L. Hsieh, The Forestry Chronicle, 68, 612 (1992); https://doi.org/10.5558/tfc68612-5
- T.A. van Beek, J. Chromatogr. A, 967, 21(2002); https://doi.org/10.1016/S0021-9673(02)00172-3
- Q. Zhang, L.-J. Chen, H.-Y. Ye, L. Gao, W. Hou, M. Tang, G. Yang, Z. Zhong, Y. Yuan and A. Peng, J. Sep. Sci., 30, 2153 (2007); https://doi.org/10.1002/jssc.200600544
- S.C. Sati and S. Joshi, The Scientific World J., 11, 2241 (2011); https://doi.org/10.1100/2011/545421
- T. Boonkaew and N.D. Camper, Phytomedicine, 12, 318 (2005); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.phymed.2003.06.008
- T. Wei, F.F. Xiong, S.D. Wang, K. Wang, Y.-Y. Zhang and Q.-H. Zhang, J. Biomed. Sci., 21 (2014); https://doi.org/10.1186/s12929-014-0087-x
- A. Hasler and O. Sticher, J. Chromatogr. A, 605, 41(1992); https://doi.org/10.1016/0021-9673(92)85026-P
- S.C. Ortegal andJ. Alberto, Food Technol. Biotechnol., 56, 480 (2018); https://doi.org/10.17113/ftb.56.04.18.5870
- M.P. Nandan and V. Meena, Int. J. Appl. Sci. Biotechnol., 3, 588 (2015); https://doi.org/10.3126/ijasbt.v3i4.13360
- Diniatik, S. Pramono and S. Riyanto, Asian J. Pharm. Clin. Res., 10, 322 (2017); https://doi.org/10.22159/ajpcr.2017.v10i5.15970
- A. Wahab, Tahira, S. Begum, I. Mahmood, T. Mahmood, A. Ahmad and N. Fayyaz, FUUAST J. Biol., 4, 1 (2014).
- F. Cuyckens and M. Claeys, J. Mass Spectrosc., 39, 1 (2004); https://doi.org/10.1002/jms.585
- V.M. Ivanov, Analysis of NMR spectra, In: A Handbook on Analytical Chemistry, Chap. 7, Chemical Industry Press, Pekin (2006).
- Y. Wei, Q. Xie, D. Fisher and I.A. Sutherland, J. Chromatogr. A, 36, 6206 (2011); https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chroma.2011.01.058